Most people think about beer or wine when they hear the term fermentation.
Today in my blog, I am going to share my recipe in doing lacto fermented cucumber (or Pickled cucumber) with unique and non-traditional methods. The lacto fermented cucumber can be served with food and also is suitable to serve as appetizer. For those who like soup, good news is that you can do sour soap from pickled cucumbe.
- 1 kg of green and fresh pickles
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 fresh peeled garlic cloves (optional)
- 1 small piece of horseradish roots (optional)
- 1 Liter of water
- 4 -5 dill flowers
- 5 tsp Sea salt
- ½ tsp pepper ( optional)
- Fresh Grapes leaves if available or fresh cherry leaves ( optional)
Let’s get started
Preparation time: 30 min.
- Give a good wash to the cucumbers.
- Put the peeled garlic, bay leaves, small piece horseradish roots, fresh grapes /cherry leaves in cleaned Bowl.
- Meanwhile, combine the water, pepper, salt, bay leaves (hot pickling solution) in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Put the cucumbers in a bowl and add the dill flowers. Then add the boiled pickling solution to the bowl; it should completely cover all cucumbers.
- Cover it carefully and place it in room temperature for 2-4 weeks before serving ( depending on the room temperature and how acidity you prefer)
During the lacto fermentation process, some water may come out of the bowl, so it is advised to put a plate under the bowl.
You still didn’t try yet ?
I will be more than happy, to hear your comments.