Pickled cabbage carrots slaw :
Cabbage is probably the most often lacto-fermented vegetable out there, probably because the end result tastes so good and its richness Vitamin C taste.
What will we need ?
- 4 or 5 heads of red or green cabbage, chopped;
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp pepper
- ½ tsp chili
- 2 medium size carrots, grated in a food processor
- 1/4 cup sea salt;
- Place the chopped cabbage little by little in a big bowl together with sea salt , pepper and bay leaves.
- Leave the mixture for 30 mins, until the salt reacts with the chopped cabbage and water from cabbage starts to appear.3
- Please the mixture together with your grated carrot little by little into the fermentation jar and keep pressing with your hands on the mixture.
- Make sure the mixture fills the jar up to no more than 1 inch below the top (because of the expansion), adding more if needed, and that the extracted water covers the vegetables entirely. If not, create a brine of 2 tablespoons sea salt to 4 cups water and add it to the cabbage.5
- Press the vegetables and keep them under the brine by placing a plate or a lid on top weighted down by a rock or a jug of water. Cover with a clean towel if needed to keep out fruit flies.
- Place the fermentation jar in a warm spot in your kitchen and allow it to ferment for 7 to 10 days.
- Check on it from time to time to be sure that the brine covers the vegetables and to remove any mold that may form on the surface.
- A good way to know when it’s ready is the smell and the color. You can also try to taste it during the fermentation process and move it to the refrigerator when you’re satisfied with the taste.
Please try it and i hope you will like it. Don’t forget to write us your opinion &thoughts.