I love cinnamon rolls. I was struggling for a long time to find a recipe that will make spelt whole wheat flour raise perfectly. But it was worth to wait. Here comes recipe for cinnamon rolls from spelt flours 2 ways. Why two ways? Well, the filling ingredient magically disappeared from the jar so I had to find another one... 😀 So if you don't have the chocolate protein cream at home you can use the orange and chocolate filling.
Ingredients for the dough:
- 240ml of milk
- 65g of butter
- 450g whole wheat spelt flour, plus more for dusting
- 50g of coconut sugar (or other sweetener)
- 8g of instant yeast
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg
Ingredients for the chocolate protein filling:
- 5 tbs women's best chocolate cream
Ingredients for the chocolate & orange filling :
- 80g of butter
- 130g of coconut sugar
- zest from 2 medium oranges
- 100g of chopped dark chocolate
- 2 tbs of cinnamon
Ingredients for glaze:
- 80g of coconut sugar
- zest of 1 orange
- 3 tbs of orange juice
- Heat the milk and butter in a pot or in microwave until melted and warm.
- Place flour, sugar, yeast and salt in a bowl and mix to combine. Add the butter and milk mixture. Mix on low speed for few minutes until the dough starts to come together (use dough hook). Increase the mixer speed but keep it on medium-low and mix for another 10 min until dough pulls away from the sides.
- Cover dough with plastic wrap and let it rest in warm place for about 2 hours. It should double the size. Alternatively you can refrigerate it overnight, it will rise slowly and will be ready in the morning.
- For the orange and chocolate filling: In the small bowl mix all the filling ingredients but the butter if you go with orange and chocolate filling. Melt the butter in microwave or in a pot.
- Punch the dough and roll it into a 50x 25 rectangle. The dough should be about 1 cm thick.
- For the orange and chocolate filling: Spread the surface with butter and sprinkle with filling mixture. Press gently to stick to the butter.
- For the chocolate protein filling: Spread the dough surface with chocolate cream.
- Starting from the longer edge, roll up the dough to form a Swiss roll.
- Cut 2 cm thick pieces and place them on a greased baking plate.
- Cover and let rest for another 1-1,5 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees C.
- Bake for 25 min until golden-brown.
- Mix all the ingredients for the glace and spread it generously over the rolls (you can do it when they are still hot). Serve warm or at the room temperature.